Looking for more information? Check out our links to resources from other websites that provide information about outreach to the unserved and underserved. This list is regularly updated, so remember to check back often.
Cultural Diversity and Inclusion
- 89 Racial Equity Resources for Healthcare, Education, and Communities: List of resources from Fast Online Masters.
- Advancing Cultural and Linguistic Competence: Where is your Developmental Disabilities Council on the Journey?: From the Oklahoma DD Council.
- Bringing Cultural Diversity and Linguistic Competency to Our Work: From the Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Cross-Disability and Culturally Diverse Leadership Coalitions: Strategies and Resources for DD Councils: A summary of responses from a survey to identify DD Councils’ needs in relation to supporting the mandate of outreach to the un- and under-served and gather successful strategies and resources to share.
- Culture Brokering: Outreach and Engagement to Diverse Communites: A presentation from Joshuaa D. Allison-Burbank, M.A., CCC-SLP KU from the Center on Developmental Disabilities Lawrence, Kansas.
- Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit: Form the Association of University Centers on Disabilities.
- Equity in the Center – Race, Equity and Disability: A webinar video from RespectAbility and Kerrien Suarez, Executive Dir. of Equity in the Center talk about how race, equity and disability provides structural ways that organizations can think about and advance diversity/equity “within” organizations and how to advocate for the same equities “outside” of organizations.
- Multicultural Program for Families of Children and Youth with Disabilities: Recorded webinar that introduces families and professionals to a panel of specialists supporting the needs and strengths of our global community through the Ohio Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities (OCECD)’s Multicultural/Multilingual Program.
- National Center of Cultural Competence: The Center provides information and online, on-demand trainings to increase the capacity of health care and mental health care programs to design, implement, and evaluate culturally and linguistically competent service delivery systems to address growing diversity, persistent disparities, and to promote health and mental health equity.
- Paving the Way: A Toolkit for Assessing & Advancing Cultural & Linguistic Competency: From the Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council.
- Self-Determination Cultural Differences in Perception and Practice: An article that discusses how culture can impact the concept of self-determination.
- The Cultural and Linguistic Competence Assessment for Disability Organizations: From the National Center for Cultural Competence at Georgetown University.
- Unserved/Underserved Populations Outreach Outcomes Evaluation Report: An evaluation report of the Ohio DD Council's outreach outcomes achieved from 2002 to 2016 as a result of Council's focus on outreach to unserved/underserved individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in Ohio. The report highlights ten targeted grants, defines operational best practices, details benchmarks for other state councils; and determines how best to move forward.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health: The Office of Minority Health is dedicated to improving the health of racial and ethnic minority populations through the development of health policies and programs that will help eliminate health disparities. They offer many resources, including free online training about cultural competency.
- What is Cultural Brokering?: From the University of Kansas Center on Developmental Disabilities.
- Title VI – Civil Rights Act of 1964: A fact sheet about Title VI - Nondiscrimination in Federally Assisted Programs, and National Origin Discrimination with regard to provisions related to language access.
Outreach Issues Briefs
- Ohio's Food Desert Crisis: An article series by the Ohio DD Council that aims to educate and inform people about food deserts and their impact on low-income communities affecting unserved and underserved individuals across Ohio, including those with developmental disabilities.
- The State of Tech: An article series by the Ohio DD Council about the impact of technology and the digital divide on Ohioans with developmental disabilities.
Information for Specific Audiences